Free wireless internet access (Wi-Fi) is offered at all our libraries on Pender, Mayne, Galiano, Saturna, and Piers islands. No log in is required. Wi-fi can be accessed from inside the libraries during opening hours, and from outside the libraries in close proximity. Patrons can use their laptops, tablets, and hand-held devices, and since users provide their own equipment, there are no time limits that apply. Please note that your library’s wireless network is not secure and use of the library wireless access is solely at the risk of the user.
Use of the Internet
- The Library does not monitor and has no control over the information accessed through the Internet.
- The Internet may contain inaccurate information or material of a controversial nature. The Library cannot censor access to material nor protect users from inaccurate or offensive information.
- Parents of children under the age of 16 are responsible for their child’s use of the computer and Internet.
- Users are asked to be respectful when accessing potentially offensive information and images. The Library reserves the right to ask individuals to discontinue the display of information and images which cause a disruption.
How do I use wireless at the library?
- You will need to bring your own laptop computer, tablet, or handheld device to the library and it will need to have built-in WiFi
- The library can make no guarantees as to compatibility of your equipment with the library’s network.
- A wireless printer is available at the Pender Island Library during opening hours. The cost is $0.15 per page for printing.
- For other SGI libraries, if you need to print, please save the work to memory stick, then use a library public computer workstation to send print jobs to a printer. There is a cost per page printed.
What about security?
- The Library’s wireless networks are not secure. Information sent to or from your laptop can potentially be captured by someone else. To securely access your corporate e-mail and other applications, you may need a security solution (VPN or Virtual Private Network).
Limitations and Disclaimers
- The Library assumes no responsibility for the safety of equipment or for laptop, tablet, or hand held device configurations, security, or data files resulting from connection to the Library’s network
- The Library cannot assure the safety of your data when you use either our wired or wireless Internet access. The Library recommends that credit card information and passwords not be transmitted while using a library WiFi.
Will I need any special settings or passwords to connect?
- No, anybody can connect.
Can the library help me configure my computer?
- Sorry, everyone’s computer is different and you are responsible for knowing how to configure your own equipment.
- The Library cannot be responsible for any changes you make to your computer’s settings.
- If you need additional assistance, you may need to contact the company that sold you the laptop, or the manufacturers of your hardware or software.